RELEASE OF LIABILITY, WAIVER OF CLAIMS, ASSUMPTION OF RISKS AND INDEMNITY AGREEMENT (Hereinafter referred to as the “Release Agreement”)
BY AGREEING TO THIS DOCUMENT YOU WILL WAIVE OR GIVE UP CERTAIN LEGAL RIGHTS, INCLUDING THE RIGHT TO SUE OR CLAIM COMPENSATION FOLLOWING AN ACCIDENT
PLEASE READ CAREFULLY!
TO: Gravelocity Cycling, and all owners or occupiers of venues or premises where Cycling Activities (as defined herein) take place, and their respective directors, officers, employees, volunteers, guides, first aid attendants, sponsors, agents, representatives, independent contractors, subcontractors, suppliers, successors and assigns (all of whom are hereinafter referred as “the Releasees.”
In this Release Agreement the term “Cycling Activities” shall include all activities, events, rides, gravel, trail or road cycling, tours, or other related services organized, provided, arranged, conducted, sponsored, promoted, authorized by or connected with the Releasees.
I have been advised to wear an approved helmet (e.g. CSA, CPSC, Snell, etc.) while participating in Cycling Activities, and to comply with all applicable municipal and provincial highway laws and regulations. I recognize that serious head injury or death can result, even when a helmet is worn.
I undertake and agree to attend pre-ride safety briefings and follow the directions of the Ride Leader at all times.
I understand that I am voluntarily participating in Cycling Activities at my own risk and I believe that I am inappropriate health and physical condition. I acknowledge that I am of the age of majority (18 years or older) as of the date Cycling Activities shall commence.
I undertake and agree to remove myself from participation if I sense or observe any unusual hazard or unsafe condition, or if, at any time, at any event or program, I feel unable or unfit to safely continue for any reason.
ASSUMPTION OF RISKS
I am aware that participation in Cycling Activities involves many risks, dangers and hazards including, but not limited to: changing weather conditions; mechanical failure of bicycles; loss of balance; falls; difficulty or inability to control one’s speed and direction; high speed descents; rapid or uncontrolled acceleration on hills and inclines; extreme variation or changes in the cycling surface including steep or slippery surfaces, railway tracks, potholes, curbs, trees, roots, tree stumps, logs, cliffs, rocks, rock drops, loose gravel, holes, depressions, etc.; streams and creeks, constructed features such as bridges, ramps, ladders, bumps, berms, jumps and drops; impact or collision with natural and constructed objects, pedestrians, motor vehicles or other cyclists; encounters with domestic or wild animals, failing to cycle safely or within one’s own ability, strenuous physical exertion, physical contact with other participants while cycling including negligence on the part of other participants; and NEGLIGENCE ON THE PART OF THE RELEASEES. I UNDERSTAND THAT NEGLIGENCE INCLUDES FAILURE ON THE PART OF THE RELEASEES TO TAKE REASONABLE STEPS TO SAFEGUARD OR PROTECT ME FROM THE RISKS, DANGERS AND HAZARDS OF CYCLING ACTIVITIES.
I AM AWARE OF THE RISKS, DANGERS AND HAZARDS ASSOCIATED WITH CYCLING ACTIVITIES AS SET OUT ABOVE AND I FREELY ACCEPT AND FULLY ASSUME ALL SUCH RISKS, DANGERS AND HAZARDS AND THE POSSIBILITY OF PERSONAL INJURY, DEATH, PROPERTY DAMAGE OR LOSS RESULTING THEREFROM.
RELEASE OF LIABILITY, WAIVER OF CLAIMS AND INDEMNITY AGREEMENT
- TO HOLD HARMLESS AND INDEMNIFY THE RELEASEES for any and all liability for any property damage, loss or personal injury to any third party resulting from my participation in Cycling Activities with Gravelocity Cycling;
- This Release Agreement shall be effective and binding upon my heirs, next of kin, executors, administrators, assigns and representatives, in the event of my death or incapacity;
- This Release Agreement and any rights, duties and obligations as between the parties to this Release Agreement shall be governed by and interpreted solely in accordance with the laws of the province of Ontario and no other jurisdiction; and
- I voluntarily consent to be photographed and/or videographed while participating with Gravelocity Cycling sponsored events or activities I understand that the intended use of the photograph(s) /video(s) is for publicity, education, marketing or public information efforts.
In consideration of the RELEASEES agreeing to my participation in Cycling Activities with Gravelocity Cycling I hereby agree as follows:
- TO WAIVE ANY AND ALL CLAIMS that I have or may in the future have against the RELEASEES AND TO RELEASE THE RELEASEES from any and all liability for any loss, damage, expense or injury, including death, that I may suffer or that my next of kin may suffer, as a result of my participation in Cycling Activities with Gravelocity Cycling, DUE TO ANY CAUSE WHATSOEVER, INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE, BREACH OF CONTRACT, OR BREACH OF ANY STATUTORY OR OTHER DUTY OF CARE, INCLUDING ANY DUTY OF CARE OWED UNDER THE OCCUPIERS LIABILITY ACT, ON THE PART OF THE RELEASEES. I UNDERSTAND THAT NEGLIGENCE INCLUDES FAILURE ON THE PART OF THE RELEASEES TO SAFEGUARD OR PROTECT ME FROM THE RISKS, DANGERS AND HAZARDS OF PARTICIPATING IN CYCLING as set out above;
- Any litigation involving the parties to this Release Agreement shall be brought solely within the province of Ontario and shall be within the exclusive jurisdiction of the Courts of Ontario.
In entering into this Release Agreement I am not relying on any oral or written representations or statements made by the Releasees with respect to the safety of Cycling Activities, other than what is set forth in this Release Agreement.
I CONFIRM THAT I HAVE READ AND UNDERSTAND THIS RELEASE AGREEMENT AND I AM AWARE THAT BY AGREEING TO THIS RELEASE AGREEMENT I AM WAIVING CERTAIN LEGAL RIGHTS WHICH I OR MY HEIRS, NEXT OF KIN, EXECUTORS, ADMINISTRATORS, ASSIGNS AND REPRESENTATIVES MAY HAVE AGAINST THE RELEASEES.
Under 26 Riders (25 and Under as of application date for membership) Concussion Safety Requirements
Under the new Rowan’s Law in Ontario, it is required that all athletes 25 and under are required to confirm that they have reviewed the Ontario Government’s Concussion Awareness Resources. We strongly suggest all participants review these resources.
I confirm that I have reviewed the Ontario Government Concussion Awareness Resources
Concussion Code of Conduct for Athletes:
This Concussion Code of Conduct is for athletes. Items marked with an asterisk * are mandatory by O.Reg. 161/19: General.
I will help prevent concussions by:
- Wearing the proper equipment for my sport and wearing it correctly.
- Developing my skills and strength so that I can participate to the best of my ability.
- Respecting the rules of my sport or activity.
- Committing to fair play and respect for all (respecting other athletes, coaches, team trainers and officials).
I will care for my health and safety by taking concussions seriously, and I understand that:
- A concussion is a brain injury that can have both short- and long-term effects.
- A blow to my head, face or neck, or a blow to the body that causes the brain to move around inside the skull may cause a concussion.
- I don’t need to lose consciousness to have had a concussion.
- I have a commitment to concussion recognition and reporting, including self-reporting of a possible concussion and reporting to a designated person when an individual suspects that another individual may have sustained a concussion.* (Meaning: If I think I might have a concussion I should stop participating in further training, practice or competition immediately, or tell an adult if I think another athlete has a concussion).
- Continuing to participate in further training, practice or competition with a possible concussion increases my risk of more severe, longer lasting symptoms, and increases my risk of other injuries.
I will not hide concussion symptoms. I will speak up for myself and others.
- I will not hide my symptoms. I will tell a guide, employee, or another participant I trust if I experience any symptoms of concussion.
- If someone else tells me about concussion symptoms, or I see signs they might have a concussion, I will tell a guide, employee or another adult I trust so they can help.
- I understand that if I have a suspected concussion, I will be removed from sport and that I will not be able to return to training, practice or competition until I undergo a medical assessment by a medical doctor or nurse practitioner and have been medically cleared to return to training, practice or competition.
I agree to abide by the Concussion Code of Conduct